Tuesday, July 17, 2007

GSI Pacific....

So I am heading out for around 6 weeks on the GSI Pacific Seismic boat. This will be my second time working offshore and while I am still relatively new at it, I am looking forward to it. I'm not sure how my time away will be but I've brought plenty to read and lots of DVDs to watch, and I will have internet access on the boat as well, so I will try and keep this blog updated regularly.


My job on board is pretty simple.. I have 3 things to do.

1. Launch Sippicans every 12 hrs and convert the data they collect into sound velocity profiles. Basically sound travels at different rates depending on the temperature and pressure of the water. We collect this data to correct the data that is collected by the single beam echosounder (Depth data).


2. I have to collect the Single beam data. Everything has been set up for me, all I have to do is turn on the data collection... poof.. and it collects data... It will collect data pretty much 24 hrs a day as long as we are running lines that we need to collect data on.


3. I need to process the data. I won't go into details on this, but I just clean the data and get it ready for use. Its a pretty simple process.


I've been going to the boat almost every day to check things out. As of now it looks like I will be leaving thursday or friday. Wish me luck....


No comments: