So Sippicans are this neat little rocket looking thing... I might have mentioned them before, but what they do is measure depth, time and the velocity of sound in the water.
Not a big deal, but the fun part is when I actually launch the sippicans. Its a really simple process, but the physical aspect of it can be a bit scary. On "nice" days its easy... all days have been beautiful out, but that doesn't mean the waves aren't big.. I have a new appreciation for the power of the Ocean.
For my first launch, I shot a probe over the side and it was a pretty average day. I didn't wear a harness, and really didn't NEED to... rookie mistake... I should have worn one, nothing happened, but I should have worn one.
The waves come up over the railing at the side of the boat... and as waves do.... they go up and down.... ALOT.. I get wet .. alot...nothing I can do about it, its part of the job...and I don't mind. I wear rain gear and I stay as dry as possible... its also really warm back there, I have to walk throught the engine room to get to the area where I launch the Sippicans. I don't know how those guys deal with the heat.
Anyway, as I am launching the probes picture walls of water the height of a basketball net or higher coming up towards you.. and every once in a while they come up over the railing and I get drenched. Needless to say I wear my harness everytime now.. I could EASILY get swept up overboard.. VERY easily...yesterday was the scariest.. the waves were BIG.. and it was still beautiful outside.. 18 Knot winds.. but the waves were 3m, thats what the weather report said anyway, sure looked bigger to me. Especially when you are right next to them.
I am able to keep my cool... but lets just say I am VERY awake when I do this... I usually do one first thing in the morning, and it wakes me up faster than any cup of coffee ever would. Funny how I have yet to have a coffee while on the cruise. Its actually fun once you get used to it and know you are safely strapped in. I get to enjoy the beautiful view. And watch the power of the waves... I often see some kind of coral looking thing floating around. I always hope one comes up onto the ship so I can get a look at it.
I'd love to take my camera out and take some pictures while I am launching the Sippican, but I know that I would just get the camera wet.. and the salt water wouldn't do my camera much good. I might ask one of the guys to take some pictures for me.
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment