Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Perseids Meteor Shower & A lost boat?

Originally posted Monday, Aug 13
------------------------------------

Last night Kevin and I spent some time outside watching the Perseids meteor shower. It was quite spectacular. We saw over 30 meteors and some of them were extremely bright. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, and just looking at the stars was quite awesome. It can be very spooky out there... lots of boat noises... engine sounds and darkness to keep things interesting. It didn't take too long for my eyes to adjust to the night sky and the stars just got brighter and brighter..

I set my alarm for 3:30am and went to bed.. the show was quite spectacular at midnight so I thought it would be even better at the peak time... 3 to 4 am. to be honest I was expecting more, and I think I saw more at midnight than I did at 4am ... but I did see one spectacular meteor that moved quite slowly and left a trail across the entire sky... quite exciting...

You can see more tonight if you missed it last night.. Try and get away from the city if you can... better view that way....

For those of you excitedly waiting for the 27th of August when Earth and Mars will have the closest approach in recorded history.... apparently its a hoax... its been going on since 2003... In 2003 the event was real... but its been repeated every year in hoax emails... not gonna happen....

I was excited about it, but when I did some digging found out it was fake.
Thanks Mr. Internet, you're so helpful...
....

More boat news...
Apparently there is a small fishing boat or recreational boat about 4 kms to our Port. Its just adrift and is not replying to our radio calls. I went outside to see it.. It is quite small, when I saw the Captain he seemed to think it might be a "Weekend Warrior" out for a cruise... but if thats the case, they are pretty far out for that kind of thing. The Captain is looking into it.. trying to find out if it might be lost or if the boat has gone missing.. I'll keep you posted if anything interesting comes of it.

....

I'll add some pictures I took..
Hope you enjoy...

Picture 1


Picture 2

No comments: